Turning to Mother Nature's Medicine Cabinet in an increasingly Radioactive World
An exploration of Radioprotective, Radiomitigative and Radiomodulatory whole foods and naturally occurring plant/fungal compounds.
I have witnessed a notable increase in concerns in those close to me (and many acquaintances) regarding people feeling helpless in the face of the hazards posed by the proliferation (and unpredictable nature) of sources of ionizing radiation and artificial EMFs (given the precarious situation in Europe and the proliferation of 5G tech in urban areas). As someone that also sees the inherent dangers of these realities (and someone that is always seeking to facilitate people being able to access increased levels of health sovereignty) I decided to do a deep dive into what solutions Mother Nature offers us in this plight. This post is focused on a solutions based approach to these hazards that can empower individuals to be able to look to ‘nature’s medicine cabinet’ and make choices to protect themselves and their loved ones in this time of uncertainty.
I always endeavor to seek out solutions and approaches to challenges that embrace the permaculture concept of stacking functions (formulating methods that offer holistic pathways that not only mitigate or prevent harm but also improve the general quality of life in a meaningful way).
Therefore, this article is intended to empower the reader to be able to make dietary choices that can serve to not only protect one’s body from the detrimental effects of ionizing radiation and artificial EMFs but also serve to increase the quality of one’s life during the best of times. I can attest that many of the foods listed provide a wide range of additional health benefits (beyond offering radioprotective, radiomitigative and/or radiomodulatory benefits) and I will provide links beside some of them to additional info on their health benefits for those that are inclined to learn more.
Now, for an honest assessment of the current state of affairs. I was not being dramatic in the title of this article when I described this world as increasingly radioactive. This is true in the case of artificially created sources ionizing radiation and also in the case of non-ionizing radiation expressed in a wide spectrum of artificial electromagnetic fields that permeate our lives and communities.
We live on a world where human beings have intentionally detonated 2,058 nuclear weapons (2 of which were used to target cities filled with human beings) and it is estimated that approximately 13,080 nuclear warheads exist on Earth now.
Will some idiot or psychopath in the military forces of a NATO country, Russia, some other nation or rogue group/individual be crazy enough to use nuclear weapons on their fellow humans (and non-human beings)? I hope not, but given the colossal stupidity, arrogance, viciousness, pettiness and shortsighted behavior humans have exhibited in the past, it certainly seems inside the realm of possibility.
Weapons are not the only concerning source of artificial ionizing radiation on Earth, for we live on a world with over 440 operational nuclear power reactors. There have been over over 100 serious nuclear accidents and incidents from the use of nuclear power, including 5 Serious nuclear power plant accidents (the Fukushima nuclear disaster (2011), the Chernobyl disaster (1986), the Three Mile Island accident (1979), and the SL-1 accident (1961) and the Windscale Fire Nuclear Disaster (1957). Over 100 additional nuclear power reactors are planned to be built and over 300 more are proposed.
These reactors are essentially glorified steam engines that use the heat produced by the radioactive decay of elements such as uranium to turn turbines in order to produce electricity. These are dilapidated, archaic, radioactive waste producing unnecessary facilities which represent catastrophes waiting to happen (given what tectonic events, military operations and/or hackers are capable of doing to such facilities).
High doses of Ionizing radiation (produced by nuclear weapon detonations and damaged/sabotaged nuclear reactors) directly affects DNA structure by inducing DNA breaks, particularly, DSBs. Secondary effects are the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) that oxidize proteins and lipids, and also induce several damages to DNA, like generation of abasic sites and single strand breaks (SSB). If left unchecked, collectively, all these changes induce cell death and mitotic failure (resulting in the death of the organism exposed).
Persistent exposures to small doses of ionizing radiation can also cause severe damage to cells, organs and DNA. These types of exposure are obviously much more frequent than accidental exposure (or intentional exposure) to high doses. These risks include biological mechanisms of damage, including epigenetic, procarcinogenic pathways and transgenerational transmission.
Adding insult to injury, most of us live in environments heavily polluted by ‘electrosmog’ (artificially generated electromagnetic fields in the environment and the resulting exposure of people and the environment to them) with the most recent sources coming in the form of “Smart Meters” (which emit pulsed microwave radiation) and 5th generation cellular network transmitters (Many 5G transmitters are currently at 5 to 6 GHz. In the medium term, 30GHz will be reached and exceeded. The expansion is then to take place in the 100GHz range.)
Smart Meters and 5G transmitters produce oxidative stress and free radical damage, which are the key elements of chronic disease. The radiation emitted from Smart Maters and 5G transmitters damages our DNA, fracturing it and causing mutations in cell lines. Effects also include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, as well as structural and functional changes of the reproductive system.
Thus far, Smart Meter and 5G radiation is only present in dangerous concentrations within the proximity of the emitters (for “Smart Meters”, usually on the side of your house and for 5G in the proximity of the towers they build with transmitters on them but companies and governments have plans to launch approximately 50,000 satellites to completely saturate 5G radiation everywhere on Earth). Elon Musk’s SpaceX is leading these efforts with its planned deployment of 42,000 Starlink satellites and its goal of establishing a global network.
These low-orbit satellites promise to flood Earth with powerful, focused electromagnetic beams that emit radiofrequency (RF) and microwave radiation proven to adversely affect the health of humans, animals, fungi, plants and microorganisms.
There is a lot more to be said about the dangers of 5G systems but those things are beyond the scope of this article which is intended to focus on naturally occurring substances and foods that have radioprotective properties.
While there are methods and materials for mitigating the amount of exposure your body receives to electromagnetic radiation (and in some cases ionizing radiation) this article will focus on a dietary approach to creating a protective shield (as well as providing the molecular tools our cells need for detoxification and regeneration) on the cellular level via eating a diet rich in radioprotective foods.
We can do things to protect ourselves against the harmful effects of Ionizing Radiation and EMFs, including a healthy intake of antioxidant-rich foods, foods that contains other compounds that offer specific radioprotective properties and taking steps to protect against heavy metal toxicity.
Some radioprotective foods/compounds I have identified in my research include:
- Seaweed such as kelp, nori, dulce and other sea vegetables (Kelp contains Iodine 127. Iodine 127 will prevent the body from absorbing radioactive iodine 131 which is constantly being released into our atmosphere by so-called normal operations of nuclear power plants and weapons facilities/detonations).
- Spirulina or Chlorella (species of edible blue-green algae such as Spirulina platensis, Spirulina maxima and Chlorella vulgaris) via the action of increasing the number of haemopoietic stem cells in the bone marrow and via increasing their survival after irradiation. Edible blue-green algaes also contain antioxidants which initiate significant amelioration of chromosome aberrations, DNA fragmentation, sperm abnormalities and alteration in lipid profiles caused by exposure to radiation. High chlorophyll foods like wheatgrass, spirulina, chlorella and barley grass also strengthen cells and help to detoxify the blood and liver as well as helping to neutralize polluting elements and stimulate natural RNA production.
- Miso (fermented soybean paste created via the action of the fermenting organisms Aspergillus oryzae, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and lactic acid bacteria) has an alkalizing effect and provides calcium, iron, B vitamins and zybicolin (helps detoxify and eliminate radioisotopes). Additional information on the many health other benefits offered by Miso can be found here.
- Aloe vera (contains a compound called acemannan, a polysaccharide) radioprotective effect due to the antioxidant and radical scavenging activity.
- sulfur-rich vegetables (Sulfur-rich Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, cabbage, mustard greens, arugula, Bok choy, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, collards, horseradish, kohlrabi, radishes, turnips, wasabi and watercress) provide us with antioxidants, indoles and sulfur. Supplements can be helpful in creating a nutrient rich environment in which radioactive imposters are crowded out and also combine with and then eliminate heavy metals and helping to prevent free radical damage.
- Reishi mushroom (ganoderma lucidum) contains triterpenes, antioxidants and other compounds that prevent radiation-induced DNA damage. These mushrooms are both cultivated and can be foraged for in the wild. Info on identification can be found here and here. Additional information on the many health other benefits offered by Reishi Mushrooms (and other medicinal mushrooms) can be found here.
- Wood ear mushroom aka Jelly ear fungus, Judas ear, also sometimes referred to by the unfortunate moniker “Jew’s ear” (Auricularia auricula-judae) containing high levels of the radioprotective compound melanin (a high-molecular-weight polymer that is ubiquitous in nature and is the compound responsible for the pigmentation of human skin). This mushrooms is both cultivated and can be foraged for in the wild. They grow in the wild on 4 continents and are often found growing on Elder. Info on the native range of this fungi can be found here. Info on identification can be found here and here .
- Other medicinal mushrooms such as Cordyceps (Cordyceps militaris) and Chaga (Inonotus obliquus).
- Echinacea (E.) purpurea (aka cone flower) root, flower and foliage tea or extract. Contains echinocoside, flavonoids, essential oils, polyacetylenes, alkylamides and polysaccharides. These compounds exhibit radioprotective properties through various mechanisms, such as the prevention of damage through the inhibition of free radical generation or its intensified scavenging, enhancement of DNA and membrane repair, replacement of dead hematopoietic and other cells and the stimulation of immune-cells activities. More specifically, the compounds present in Echinacea root/leaves/flower listed above have been shown to produce additional white blood cells and stimulate bone marrow production (which is diminished by radiation exposure). These compounds also activate helper T cells to proliferate. The anti-oxidant compounds found in Echinacea root are also capable of scavenging hydroxyl radicals and to suppress the oxidation of human low-density lipoprotein. Additional information on the many other health benefits of Echinacea can be found here.
Tulsi aka “Holy Basil” (Ocimum sanctum, Ocimum tenuiflorum, Ocimum gratissum and Ocimum africanum) The antioxidant activity of a polysaccharide (OSP) isolated from Ocimum sanctum offer significant radioprotective activity. This polysaccharide also prevents oxidative damage to liposomal lipids and plasmid DNA induced by various oxidants such as iron, AAPH and γ-radiation, besides scavenging important ROS such as the superoxide radical and hydrogen peroxide and inhibiting xanthine oxidase. In addition, these polysaccharides have been shown to prevent γ-radiation-mediated cell deaths. Additional information on the many health benefits offered by Tulsi can be found here.
- Brewer’s Yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae) contains Beta 1/3 glucan a polysaccharide that increases macrophage production
- Green Tea (various extracted/powderized forms of Camellia sinensis leaves and buds) containing flavonoids that scavenger free radicals and hydroxyl radicals that asue much of the damage to cells from radiation).
- Turmeric (containing Curcumin) powerful antioxidants in turmeric rhizome serve to alleviate pathological disorders related to radiation exposure and prevent DNA damage via modulating antioxidant enzymes. Additional information on the many health benefits offered by Termeric can be found here.
- Probiotic rich lacto-fermented foods such as Kimchi, Sauerkraut, Gundruk and Miso (via the action of the beneficial bacteria that protects intestinal epithelium from radiation injury and/or their secreted bacterial products which have unique radioprotective properties.)
-lacto-fermented beverages, such as Kombucha (fermented black tea) via free radical scavenging mediated pathways facilitated through compounds such as quercetin, kaempferol, myricetin, tea polyphenols, gluconic acid, glucuronic acid, lactic acid, vitamins and a variety of micronutrients produced during fermentation.
-Ginger (Zingiber officinale) contains phenolic compounds such as gingerol, paradol, zingerone, zingiberol and shogaols, and other antioxidants that provide antitumour activity. The phytochemicals dehydrogingerone and zingerone present in ginger have been shown to protect against radiation-induced sickness and mortality. Mechanistic studies have indicated that the free radical scavenging, antioxidant affects, anti-inflammatory and anti-clastogenic effects that contribute towards the observed protection. Additionally, have also shown that zingerone selectively protects the normal tissues against the tumoricidal effects of radiation.
Compounds in Ginger have been shown to reduce DNA oxidation, significantly reducing radiation induced chromosomal abnormality and micronucleus formation. Additionally, pretreatment with ginger extract/tea significantly decreases DNA damage in both bone marrow cells and epididymal sperm, maintained sperm DNA integrity and reduced the occurrence of sperm anomalies after irradiation.
Additional information on the many other health benefits offered by ginger can be found here.
- Ginkgo biloba extract or tea (via its Antioxidant Action)
- Red Goji Berries and Foliage (Lycium barbarum and lycium chinense) via the actions of goji polysaccharides (efficient antioxidants) that can protect mitochondria from irradiation-induced lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation by augmenting endogenetic antioxidant enzymes and via the enhanced regeneration of the hematopoietic stem cells initiated via the action of a variety of compounds that are found in Goji Berries. These compounds (including but not limited to Polysaccharides, Polyphenols, Quercetin, Catechin, Kaempferol and carotenoids) also serve to facilitate enhanced postirradiation repair and/or an increased proliferation of the hematopoietic stem cells during radiation exposure. Additional info on the many other health benefits of Goji Berries can be found here.
- Anthocyanins (a group of antioxidants that can be found in a range of fruit and vegetables, being expressed in particularily high concentrations in berries such as Black Goji, Common Elderberry, Black Current, Black Raspberry, Dark Skinned Grapes, Saskatoon Berry, Serviceberry, Cranberries, Sea Buckthorn and Honeysuckle berry/’honeyberry’ and vegetables like Purple Cabbage, Purple fleshed Carrots, Purple Skinned Tomatoes and Red Onions). Additional information on the many other health benefits offered by foods that contain Anthocyanins can be found here.
- Capsicum annuum (sweet and hot peppers). Hot peppers have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Most peppers are good sources of capsaicin, beta-carotene, lycopene (red varieties) and vitamin C, as well as flavonoids such as quercetin and luteolin. Peppers are Radioprotective via the superoxide radical scavenging activity of compounds found in peppers. Additional information on the many other health benefits offered by peppers can be found here.
- Many Conifers produce edible Pine needles (which can be consumed in tea, in food or extract) the foliage of these trees offer antioxidant and antimutagenic action via polyphenols contained within the needles (bark or cones). I created an in depth article that explores the many additional health benefits offered by consuming pine needles/pine needle tea which you can find here
- Cilantro (cilantro will move heavy metals and radioactive material out of the cells into the detoxification pathways along with a detox help pull down hard on those pathways to get the stuff out through the intestines. The internal consumption of edible clay and blue-green algae dramatically facilitate this process.)
Other radioprotective herbs that have roots in ancient traditional medicine practices such as TCM and Ayurveda:
- Astragalus Root (via the action of a polysaccharide that serves to ameliorate ionizing radiation-induced oxidative stress)
- Betel (Piper betle)
- Triphala (a herbal preparation used in Ayurvedic medicine. It is a combination of three plants that are native to India, including: Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis), black myrobalan (Terminalia chebula) and belleric myrobalan (Terminalia bellirica).
- Bupleurum root (Chai Hu)
- “Shenmai” (a TCM formulation composed of a mixture of Panax ginseng, Ophiopogon japonicus and Schisandra chinensis)
- Yu Xing Cao (Herba Houttuyniae) The aerial parts of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. of Family Saururaceae
- Erigeron breviscapus (DengZhanHua in Chinese) extract (containing Breviscapine)
I feel it is worth noting that some of the most potent radioprotective foods on this list (such as Seaweed, Miso, Dried Medicinal Mushrooms/ginger, Spirulina/Chlorella and Fermented Vegetables) have an excellent shelf life (with miso paste having a shelf life of several years if kept in a cool/dark place and seaweed being similar if kept in a dry, cool, dark place) so these are excellent items for adding to your “natural first aid kit” or “emergency preparedness kit”.
Healthy foods high in calcium can help block strontium-90 uptake (almonds, collard and turnip greens, blackstrap molasses, kale and spinach. Foods high in potassium are also important (baked sweet and white potatoes, tomato paste, white beans, carrot juice, bananas and spinach are good examples). Glutathione is a master antioxidant and is actually produced by our bodies from glutamine, glycine and N-acetylcysteine. Cordyceps, Gotu Kola, milk thistle and alpha-lipoic acid have also been shown to increase glutathione levels.
Antioxidants protect us against the oxidizing effects of free radicals and may reduce the damage caused by radioactive elements. Antioxidant refers to a compound that can delay or inhibit the oxidation of lipids or other molecules through the initiation or spread of oxidative chain reaction that alleviates the oxidative damage in the human body. The antioxidants act as scavengers to neutralize the reactive oxygen species (ROS) by donating one of their own electrons slowing to the electron-stealing reaction. As the antioxidants are capable to bind metal ions that catalyze oxidation, they are recognized as chelators as well.
Flavonoids are effective radioprotective antioxidants as they can also inhibit regulatory enzymes or transcription factors important for controlling inflammatory mediators, affect oxidative stress through interaction with DNA and enhance genomic stability. Many plant based foods are naturally high in antioxidants/flavonoids as a protective measure for the plants themselves. Fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices are especially good sources. Choose produce that has been allowed to ripen on the vine to maximize production of antioxidants and phytonutrients. Eating a mainly plant based diet with most of your foods low on the food chain (or better yet a plant/fungal based diet in which you cultivate much of what you eat) will also reduce our exposure to toxic chemicals, pesticides and radiation.
Heavy metal toxicity can make you more sensitive to Ionizing Radiation, 5G and other forms of artificial EMF radiation.
We are exposed to various heavy metals which become toxic at low concentrations. These include mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium, graphene, nickel, thallium, uranium and aluminum.
We’re exposed to heavy metals in numerous ways, including:
-In our drinking water
-Various foods, including fish and tinned goods
-Vaccines (some of which contain Graphene oxide and/or heavy metal preservatives, either Thiomersal or Aluminum, and Formaldehyde).
- Other injectable products being marketed as medicine such as mRNA and viral vector injections
-Our environment, e.g. paints, fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides, factory waste, lead batteries and treated wood.
Millions of people worldwide suffer the ill effects of heavy metal toxicity. Many of its health risks and symptoms mirror EMF radiation and can be an underlying cause of oxidative stress and inflammation.
Some researchers believe that the higher our levels of heavy metals, the more we act as an antenna attracting EMF radiation and amplifying its effects, leading to electrosensitivity and illness.
There are certain foods you can eat to help detox heavy metals.
While it is possible to buy some supplements that are designed well to be filled with sufficiently bioavailable ingredients (of a potency where they are actually efficacious) it’s most beneficial to get antioxidants from food, and research suggests that taking antioxidant supplements in high doses doesn’t provide more benefit. Also, Vitamin, mineral and anti-oxidant rich fresh and fermented foods offer other beneficial characteristics that packaged/processed supplements do not and cannot.
Often, supplements focus on one isolated antioxidant, e.g. a vitamin C or vitamin A supplement. These don’t benefit from the synergistic relationship with other nutrients you’ll naturally find in food (nor do they contain the structured water aka “4th phase water”).
For example, when you eat a piece of fruit, any antioxidants it provides work in harmony with the other vitamins, minerals and nutrients it contains. It’s this nutritional symbiosis that is most beneficial.
One important fact to note is that antioxidants are substances, which can be too much of a good thing in concentrated supplement form. You can consume plenty of healthy food without overdosing on the nutrients they provide.
If you consume a varied, natural diet full of nutrient-dense whole foods, including brightly colored fruits, vegetables, fungi, herbs, spices, and other plant foods like nuts, seeds, and healthy oils, you should get a wealth of antioxidants.
Fish, seafood, poultry and other meats also contain antioxidants in varying amounts but pollution of the ocean and toxic feeding/living conditions of animals raised for meat often result in more harm than good coming from eating store bought meat/seafood. If you are eating meat/seafood, try to get to know your farmer and make sure the animals are living in healthy conditions (preferably being raised using regenerative practices).
Aim to eat organic wherever possible to avoid pesticides and benefit from the minerals provided by more nutritious living soil (preferably in your own garden where you know what went into the soil).
I hope you found this information to be empowering (especially those of you who like myself live close to a nuclear power facility) and that you find hope and purpose in the knowing that you can include these foods and lifestyle choices in your daily routine and in doing so take responsible steps to not only mitigating the day to day harmful effects of various types of radiation exposure and/or being prepared for radiation emergencies, but also to care for the temple that is your body so you can be your best self in non-emergency situations.
Let us pray that there will come a day when humanity has abandoned/dismantled technologies that produce harmful forms of artificial ionizing and EMF radiation a list of Radioprotective foods like this becomes no longer needed.
Or in an ideal world, perhaps a list like this would only needed be referenced for something like protecting astronauts on peaceful space exploration endeavors (at some future date in which we have abandoned our 100 year old petroleum propulsion tech and our private and government space exploration efforts are not based in exploitation and militarization, but rather in the interest of peaceful, reverent and amicable space exploration and interstellar diplomacy).
Wishing you all good health, longevity and a hopeful feeling rooted in the knowing you can take steps to both be prepared for the worst while also being your best selves.
Links to references and pertinent studies/data:
https://www.cabi.org/cabebooks/ebook/20083238023 (full PDF: - http://www.agrifs.ir/sites/default/files/Herbal%20Radiomodulators%20%20%7BRajesh%20Arora%7D%20%5B9781845933951%5D%20%28CABI%20-%202008%29_0.pdf ) contains chapters titled things such as “Elucidation of Mechanism of Action of Herbal Radioprotectors” so it is well worth looking into)
(I will add items to and enhance this article as time becomes available. These enhancements will include fixing/replacing hyperlinks (reposting supplementary articles in a non-facebook format and linking etc), reference link titles, further specification and elucidation on the specific radioprotective, radiomitigative and/or radiomodulatory mechanisms of each food/herb/fungi and perhaps more data on the harms and methods for preventing harms related to 5G radiation exposure).